How to Become a Morning Person—My Journey
I feel like I have to put out a disclaimer before I start this post because most people that know me will agree: I am not a morning person, like, not even a little bit. There, I said it.
However, it occurred to me a couple months ago that showing up to work trying to rock the hashtag-no makeup, hashtag-no filter look as a result of hitting 'snooze' on repeat, wasn't cutting it. Not to mention, I'm incapable of having a decent conversation before a cup of coffee (I'm still working on this, guys).
Needless to say, it's clear I needed to make some changes. And I'm not talking about that "go to bed earlier" BS. Let's be honest, I'm trying to be a #girlboss here—sleep is low on my priority list.
I'm trying something new, and dare I say it's working? I'll be documenting my journey over the next few months (wish me luck!), but in the meantime, here are the steps I'm taking to become a morning person.
1. RING THE ALARM. Set an alarm the night before, duh, that's a given. But, what good does that do you if you press snooze for an hour (guilty)? Here's my trick: right before bed, I set my alarm with my jam of the moment—something that's bumpin' and makes me want to get up and dance—and place my phone (my alarm) on the other side of the room.
Not only do I have to get out of bed when it sounds off, but now my song's playing so I have no choice but to wake the hell up. Genius, right?
2. #OOTD. Pick out your outfit the night before. This one has changed the game for me. No more 'nothing to wear' syndrome. No more basic outfits, or jeans-and-a-tee days.
In fact, I took it a step further and designated Sunday nights as outfit planning/Game of Thrones nights. I style my outfits for the week ahead, down to the accessories and the shoes. Life-changing, you guys. Makes getting ready in the morning a breeze.
3. PLAY THE TUNES. If you know me, you know I listen to music through most of my day—while I commute, while I work on the computer, while I cook, chances are there's music playing in the background.
I've created playlists for everything from 'quiet time,' to 'work out,' and now I even have one for 'getting ready.' Obviously it consists of lots of Beyonce, JLo (specifically Feelin' So Good - oldie but goody), and other crunk jams, like my current fav "Lean On" by Major Lazer.
4. H20. Hydrating first thing in the morning is another little thing that has changed the start of my day in a big way. Before coffee, before anything, I head to the kitchen and guzzle down a large glass of water. As I'm sure you've heard countless times, water does wonders for your skin, but it also gives you a boost of energy. And, did you know it also helps you stay slim? I'll drink to that!
5. MEDITATE. And, last but not least, take a moment to meditate—whether you use this time to say your prayers for the day, or to do some stretches, having a few minutes of peace and quiet every morning help start your day off on the right foot.
Are you a morning person? What are some of the ways you start your morning? Share in the comments below to be featured in a follow-up post.
IN THIS POST:
CLOTHING — H&M top, jacket, and shorts
ACCESSORIES —Celine sunglasses, Zara shoes + bag